HI, IT’S CARLA. As the founder of jovial foods, I’ve always wanted to create a space where einkorn bakers could compare notes. I also love to hear and learn from your feedback. And, if you have questions or want to show the community what you’re baking, please register and create a post. I’ll do my best to answer all questions about the cookbook, with help from the jovial staff. Welcome to the einkorn cookbook community!

Mixing flour

Is mixing 50% All-purpose EinKorn flour and 50% whole wheat EinKorn flour OK to make a loaf of bread?

Sourdough pizza

Hi Carla! Wondering why the sourdough starter for the sourdough pizza crust needs to be fresh (fed)? All the other times we use sourdough starter we can use it from the fridge. Would it be possible to use fridge starter in the crust recipe? Thanks!

Substituting whole grain flour with all purpose einkorn

Hello Carla, I’m very much enjoying cooking and baking with einkorn! I’d like to try to make Zuccini bread and Banana bread from the cookbook. How do I need to correct the recipe if I use only the all purpose flour? I bought the big sack of it, but my whole grain has finished. Thank … Continued

sourdough starter

Hi I just purchased your Einkorn cookbook and flour and attempted my 1st sourdough starter. I used a scale and tried for 3 weeks with no success of getting the starter to bubble within 10 hours The beginning started ok but when I got to days 6 on following directions on page 13 of cookbook … Continued

starters

Making my first Levain starter Do I Turn 3 times in the first hour of making it and again when I use it? After waiting 6-8 hours for it to be “ready” can I store it for a day before using? How long can I store it and in fridge? Or not?. Trying to follow … Continued

fresh milled Einkorn flour

When a recipe calls for whole grain Einkorn flour, can I use fresh milled Einkorn flour in the same amount? Also when a recipe calls for “Einkorn wheat berries ground to whole grain flour’ is the gr. weight for the berries or the milled flour, I just got a grain mill and am so excited … Continued

proofing basket

Is using a proofing basket NECESSARY? I’m trying to pare down my kitchen tools and use only the simplest tools, but wonder if using a banneton will ensure better success when baking bread? Thanks!

bowl scraper

This is probably a silly question, but what kind of bowl scraper is best for working with einkorn? I’m ready to buy one and not sure if it’s best to be flexible or more rigid? Thanks!

Einkorn Crispy Cocoa Cookie crust for cheesecake, YUM!

Hi Carla! I crushed up a box of your cocoa cookies and mixed with melted butter and pressed into the bottom of a spring form pan. I topped it with my favorite chocolate chip cheesecake recipe and baked! WOW!! The crust was perfect! Thank you Carla <3

Sourdough

I am new to sourdough and bread baking in general. I have followed your instr re: starter. Now what. Once it is completely ready I plan to keep it in the fridge. But how to I go from starter to bread. One recipe calls for “fed” starter. Also, I would prefer to use a bread … Continued