HI, IT’S CARLA. As the founder of jovial foods, I’ve always wanted to create a space where einkorn bakers could compare notes. I also love to hear and learn from your feedback. And, if you have questions or want to show the community what you’re baking, please register and create a post. I’ll do my best to answer all questions about the cookbook, with help from the jovial staff. Welcome to the einkorn cookbook community!

SD Sprouted Ciabatta

Hi all…today I made a ciabatta using sprouted flour and using 7% less flour by weight as Carla suggested. I am thrilled with the result! Also, I used whole grain einkorn for the levain and that was a different experience from AP flour: the levain was plenty “frothy” though not as bubbly on top. What … Continued

Recipes

Looking for lots of recipes!

Sourdough baking

I am in the process of developing my starter and it is going well! However, I have a question about Days 5-10. On page 11, it says during the strengthening time, you can use the extra starter to bake bread if you use it in conjunction with a yeast levain. Could you give me an … Continued

einkorn sourdough starter problems

I have attached a picture of my starter. It is not gooey or expanding at all. It is a firm dough ball, very dense.. It is 3 months old. I live in a very dry climate. I weigh my flour, take the temp of water, follow instructions. I’m wondering if it needs to be more … Continued

proofing

I am new to baking with einkorn so am a little unsure of what temp is best for proofing. I have the cookbook and many of the recipes say to proof at room temp. My ovens have a proofing cycle but it is an even 100 degrees. Should I not use my oven to proof?

Sourdough Starter

Hi there! I’m working to make my own sourdough starter from einkorn flour. I’m inexperienced and following a recipe, but I’ve found that there are 2 parts I’m very confused about. The first 4 days of creating the starting, I’m letting it sit for 48 hours, then 24 hours, then another 24 hours. Each time … Continued

Sourdough pancakes

Carla – My family lives by all of your delicious pancake recipes!! We love sourdough pancakes and would love them with Einkorn. Do you have a recipe you can share or plan to do blog post about them? We soak the whole wheat as you suggested in kefir and they are incredible. Thanks!

cake

Can a cake be make without eggs and what is the secret to making a normal white cake? My first attempt was a big gooey flop!

Mixing Flours

Hi Carla…I plan to make grissini tomorrow. Will using AP and sprouted flours together yield a good result? If so, what is the water adjustment? And will using sprouted alone work, with the 5% water adjustment? So much to learn! Thank you, Barbara