HI, IT’S CARLA. As the founder of jovial foods, I’ve always wanted to create a space where einkorn bakers could compare notes. I also love to hear and learn from your feedback. And, if you have questions or want to show the community what you’re baking, please register and create a post. I’ll do my best to answer all questions about the cookbook, with help from the jovial staff. Welcome to the einkorn cookbook community!

unclear about how to refresh starter

i’ve reached the “refresh the starter” phase (days 6-10) of my sourdough starter and am unclear on exactly how to do this. do i remove 2 tsp from what i’ve already made in days 1-5,, add the water and flour as instructed, and discard the rest? or, do i add the flour and water to … Continued

Einkorn tortillas

I am so thankful for your Einkorn flour, Einkorn Sourdough Crackers, wonderful tomato products in glass jars and the DIVINE Superb Jovial Olive Oil.. Do you have a recipe to make Einkorn Flour tortillas? Would that be in your recipe book? Thank you, Turquoise (TikiBlu)

Best Pizza Ever!

When your 5 year old responds to the question: “so how does it taste?”, with: “no time for talking, just eat”, you know you’re doing something right! Fresh ingredients, einkorn dough, and a homemade sauce that tastes Italy authentic, in a California kitchen, is how we do it!

Pizza dough HELP!

Oh no…. I made pizza dough on super bowl Sunday. But it was too late to prepare. So after the 15 minute final rest, I wrapped in olive oil cling wrap. Then zip lock bag, and placed in the fridge. I took it out just now from fridge and it has a strong almost wine-like … Continued

Pecorino & Cannelini Bean Salad

For years, I’ve been making this dish with regular canned beans. This time I made it with Jovial’s jarred beans and my new bottle of Special Reserve olive oil. My Italian husband loved the new version of this dish and especially loves the traditional foods I’m preparing for our little family. When the children eat … Continued

Wheat Berries!

I just purchased my first couple boxes of wheat berries and used them in a recipe this past weekend for a healthy super bowl food fest! I call it “Meatballs a la Pizzaiola w/ wheat berries, arugula, & tomato medley”! It’s a mouthful to say, but the flavors meld together with just a hint of … Continued

Dense bread

I made your baguette recipe, to the letter, and it’s great except it’s dense. I was hoping this recipe would liberate my Italian family from modern wheat Italian bread. Should I use a longer rising time? Or, should I knead it more? I have your cookbook, love all of the recipes I’ve tried so far. … Continued

First Refresh…..

Do I only keep the “refreshed” portion and toss out the rest of the starter?

Starter, levain, and bread affirmation!

Ok, so here is my question….. I have the cookbook, and started my starter. Once it’s finished, it sounds like I take the amount needed to make my levain and then store the REMAINDER of the starter in the fridge, correct? Then I take my levain and let that rest for said amount of time, … Continued