HI, IT’S CARLA. As the founder of jovial foods, I’ve always wanted to create a space where einkorn bakers could compare notes. I also love to hear and learn from your feedback. And, if you have questions or want to show the community what you’re baking, please register and create a post. I’ll do my best to answer all questions about the cookbook, with help from the jovial staff. Welcome to the einkorn cookbook community!

How to use starter after refrigeration

My starter is nice and healthy and I’ve baked a no-knead loaf with it. I needed to take a little break, so I put it in the fridge to “pause” it. Now I’m ready to make a new loaf–so, since this starter is healthy, do I need to refresh it? (And if so, do I … Continued

no-knead overnight artisan loaf

Hi Carla, Thank you for the opportunity to ask questions. I followed the recipe from your book. The dough was rising ok, the bread doubled in size. The final product wasn’t that great though, the bread turned very doughy inside and tough on the outside. What am I doing wrong? How can I correct it, … Continued

Einkorn Sourdough Pancakes

I tried Carla’s suggestion for changing her Golden Buttermilk Pancakes recipe to sourdough. They were delicious. The only problem I found was I apparently didn’t cook them quite long enough. They were just a bit moist. I’d say soggy but they were not really soggy – just too moist. They rose beautifully and were very … Continued

Bake ahead bread for Easter?

Hi! Been happily baking breads for almost a year now and they are so awesome! Question – with Easter coming and a ton of family to feed, have you ever tried par-baking any loaves, freezing, then finishing baking day of? (I’ve baked fully, frozen and defrosted/reheated in the past.) Was wondering if you’ve ever tried … Continued

Sprouted Flour Grissini

Hi Carla, Backstory and Quick question: last week I made grissini with sprouted flour, and I forgot to reduce the flour by 7% by weight. I remembered as I put my dryish lump of dough into the bowl to proof.. Could I have added some amount of water and kneaded the dough again before proofing? … Continued

All purpose einkorn

Just curious what you sift your whole grain einkorn with to get a nice all purpose flour? I have my own mill and a fine sieve but the flour still has lots of the bran and germ in it.

Bisquit

I have some Jovial No.04 and was trying to figure out how to use it to make biscuits. Maybe not possible? Searching your site doesn’t find any bisquit or biscuit recipes. Suggestions? Pete

Sprouted Grissini

Hi all…today’s adventure in baking was grissini made with whole wheat levain and sprouted flour. First, the WW levain expresses itself differently, which I have come to recognize and appreciate…combined with sprouted flour gives the grissini a deliciously complex flavor. It probably doesn’t hurt that I brush on melted butter and sprinkle with coarse sea … Continued

the first loaf!

Hi Carla! I didn’t seen an option to add the photo to the thread so I added it here! I was pretty happy with how it turned out! I thought it would be a flop! I did add a pinch of yeast because I was scared but it was hardly any so I will try … Continued