HI, IT’S CARLA. As the founder of jovial foods, I’ve always wanted to create a space where einkorn bakers could compare notes. I also love to hear and learn from your feedback. And, if you have questions or want to show the community what you’re baking, please register and create a post. I’ll do my best to answer all questions about the cookbook, with help from the jovial staff. Welcome to the einkorn cookbook community!

Mixing Flours

Hi Carla…I plan to make grissini tomorrow. Will using AP and sprouted flours together yield a good result? If so, what is the water adjustment? And will using sprouted alone work, with the 5% water adjustment? So much to learn! Thank you, Barbara

starter:)

HI! I just bought the cookbook and I love it. I back lots of regular sourdough bread but have never tried to make an Einkorn starter. I am following the directions in the cookbook and came across something that confused me a bit. I am using your whole wheat flour (the one in the bag, … Continued

Amount of flour

When using einkorn flour, I consistently have to add more liquid than the recipes call for. I do use a scale for the flour. It’s not necessarily a problem. I’m an experienced baker, sominjustvadjust as I need to. But I can see someone starting out might have more problems. Thoughts?

Einkorn flour

Hi! Just wanted to how glad I am to have found Einkorn flour! My daughter is very gluten sensitive but she can eat this with no problems. I use it like regular wheat flour but have found it to be a bit crumbly so I started adding some tapioca flour and now it works perfectly. … Continued

Cracked loaves

Hi Carla – I’m a total convert to einkorn and only use recipes fe your cookbook. I have been making the walnut bread (and sometimes the cinnamon version, yum!) and no matter what I do it gets huge cracks in it. I use a kitchen scale and follow the directions. My starter is well aged … Continued

sourdough einkorn

I started a sourdough starter, einkorn, and it has been going for almost a month. however, it has never had hooch on the top. It has lots of bubbles and smells wonderfully sour dough. I also heard that it should dome on the top. Mine has not. I made bread and pancakes with the started … Continued

Feeling Discouraged…

Hi, I’ve posted some of the wonderful experiences I’ve had so far with the einkorn flour as well as your other products. But when it comes to making bread, they have all turned out very dense. The flavors are exquisite, with the perfect sourdough tang, but the bread feels like a brick when I pull … Continued

Whole Grain Batard dry

I just posted a reply to this post “Whole Grain Batard.” But since a response in that thread had a question that was unanswered, I thought I’d make another post: I just made the Whole Grain Batard using a scale and following the recipe exactly. It is very dry. I was also wondering if there … Continued

Sourdough Levain

Since whole grain einkorn flour requires more liquid than all-purpose einkorn flour (page 6), why–for the levain–are the two flour weights the same? (also, the refreshing the starter recipe shows different weights for the flours)