HI, IT’S CARLA. As the founder of jovial foods, I’ve always wanted to create a space where einkorn bakers could compare notes. I also love to hear and learn from your feedback. And, if you have questions or want to show the community what you’re baking, please register and create a post. I’ll do my best to answer all questions about the cookbook, with help from the jovial staff. Welcome to the einkorn cookbook community!

Near Epic Failure

Today I had planned to make 1/2 of the grissini recipe, but I mistakenly put the full complement of flour into the bowl, added the levain , etc. (1/2 recipe) and began stirring. Then I realized my error…so I called Jovial, and Lauren made a fabulous suggestion to add more starter mixed with necessary water … Continued

Light fluffy bread tips

I am new to baking with Jovial. I have tried a handful of recipes including sourdough and nonsourdough. They all seem to come out flat. I even let the last batch raise for 24 hrs and it only called for 8. Any tips to getting a light fluffy bread instead of the dense stuff I … Continued

Is my starter too wet?

I’ve seen the pictures you’ve posted recently with starter photos. Mine is much much wetter. If it is too wet, what do I do to shift it? Note: the speckles are because I fed it on occasion with a local organic whole grain flour. ~Missy

Sourdough French Boule Help!

Ok, so….. I’ve made the french Boule a number of times. I feel like I have that recipe memorized by now. My starter is a good 3-4 months strong, definitely bubbly. However, everytime I bake it….. it is still heavy and dense. I’ve got some good sized air bubbles in it but can’t figure out … Continued

bread machine sandwich loaf

Hi, first of all, thank you so much for providing such a healthy and delicious wheat flour!! I made the sandwich loaf exactly to specs (used weights to measure) and I keep getting consistent results…..always collapsed in the center. What can I change to get a properly shaped loaf? We live in humid Georgia, USA. … Continued

How Can I Ship Some Starter to a Friend?

Hi there, I have promised a friend that I’d send her some of my sourdough starter so that she doesn’t have to take 10 or so days to make her own. What is the best way to mail this to her? -Delfina

Easter bread recipe

I tried making the Easter bread too & had the same problem. I think the recipe should call for more yeast. I proofed my yeast so it was good. Weighed my ingredients and used a thermometer so all of my ingredients were the right temperature. I am so bummed because I spent money on the … Continued

How to use starter after refrigeration

My starter is nice and healthy and I’ve baked a no-knead loaf with it. I needed to take a little break, so I put it in the fridge to “pause” it. Now I’m ready to make a new loaf–so, since this starter is healthy, do I need to refresh it? (And if so, do I … Continued

no-knead overnight artisan loaf

Hi Carla, Thank you for the opportunity to ask questions. I followed the recipe from your book. The dough was rising ok, the bread doubled in size. The final product wasn’t that great though, the bread turned very doughy inside and tough on the outside. What am I doing wrong? How can I correct it, … Continued

Einkorn Sourdough Pancakes

I tried Carla’s suggestion for changing her Golden Buttermilk Pancakes recipe to sourdough. They were delicious. The only problem I found was I apparently didn’t cook them quite long enough. They were just a bit moist. I’d say soggy but they were not really soggy – just too moist. They rose beautifully and were very … Continued