HI, IT’S CARLA. As the founder of jovial foods, I’ve always wanted to create a space where einkorn bakers could compare notes. I also love to hear and learn from your feedback. And, if you have questions or want to show the community what you’re baking, please register and create a post. I’ll do my best to answer all questions about the cookbook, with help from the jovial staff. Welcome to the einkorn cookbook community!

Best way to get started.

Hi Carla, Please provide the necessary steps to be successful with using Einkorn flour. Devices needed. I currently do all the cooking for us since the onset of my wife illness 5 years ago. Thank you for your help and assistance. Thomas

Sourdough starter

I am having trouble getting a starter to bubble and look anything like the photos in the cookbook. I use a scale to measure the 60 g of all purpose flour. It is very dry, so Have tried adding a bit more water. It has been 2 weeks and it still looks like the first … Continued

Big Hit with Einkorn Bagels!

My first attempt using the Jovial cookbook recipe for bagels was much easier than I thought. My family raved over the assorted plain, onion and cinnamon raisin bagels. We all agreed better than our local Bagel stores. Thanks again.

extra starter

Hi Carla, I forgot to ask in my previous question about my starter not being quite active enough… would it be ok to add a little extra starter to the recipe for the Overnight Artisan loaf when you’re mixing it together if you think your starter isn’t real active? I see that you’ve recommended a … Continued

storing flour and starter health

Hi Carla, I’m having trouble with my starter being active enough. It was active at the end of the first week but then seems to have died down somewhat by now — which is at about 3 weeks. I was using AP flour at first which I store on the counter but then began to … Continued

Near Epic Failure

Today I had planned to make 1/2 of the grissini recipe, but I mistakenly put the full complement of flour into the bowl, added the levain , etc. (1/2 recipe) and began stirring. Then I realized my error…so I called Jovial, and Lauren made a fabulous suggestion to add more starter mixed with necessary water … Continued

Light fluffy bread tips

I am new to baking with Jovial. I have tried a handful of recipes including sourdough and nonsourdough. They all seem to come out flat. I even let the last batch raise for 24 hrs and it only called for 8. Any tips to getting a light fluffy bread instead of the dense stuff I … Continued

Is my starter too wet?

I’ve seen the pictures you’ve posted recently with starter photos. Mine is much much wetter. If it is too wet, what do I do to shift it? Note: the speckles are because I fed it on occasion with a local organic whole grain flour. ~Missy

Sourdough French Boule Help!

Ok, so….. I’ve made the french Boule a number of times. I feel like I have that recipe memorized by now. My starter is a good 3-4 months strong, definitely bubbly. However, everytime I bake it….. it is still heavy and dense. I’ve got some good sized air bubbles in it but can’t figure out … Continued

bread machine sandwich loaf

Hi, first of all, thank you so much for providing such a healthy and delicious wheat flour!! I made the sandwich loaf exactly to specs (used weights to measure) and I keep getting consistent results…..always collapsed in the center. What can I change to get a properly shaped loaf? We live in humid Georgia, USA. … Continued